- “SSC (variously, “we” or “our”)”: a federally incorporated not-for-profit corporation Solar Schools Canada – Les Écoles Solaires du Canada.
- “User (variously, “you” or “your”)”: an individual, organization or business who accesses and uses the Website.
- “Website" means www.ssc-esc.ca.
Meaning of “Personal Information”
- name, business or organization name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number;
- transactional information.
“Personal information” does not include information that is non-identifiable, anonymized or information in aggregate form (collectively, “Non-Identifiable Information”)
Meaning of Non-Identifiable Information
- System Information. The type of operating system you are using (e.g. Windows, Mac OS), the domain name of your internet service provider (ISP) (e.g. Telus, Shaw) and the type of browser you are using (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer). Browser information (i.e. the URL of the web page you were just on, the IP address of the computer you are using and your domain type) is automatically recorded as part of transmitting information over the internet. We may use it to help us display information in the best format for you.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small text file we place in your browser's files. No one else can read this file. Cookies allow our server to recognize you when you return to the Website, so you don't have to re-register and so we can retain any preferences you may have given us. If you do not wish to receive cookies, most browsers allow you to be alerted when a cookie is sent to your computer, so you can decide whether to accept it.
- Statistical Reports. We may develop summary reports to help us and our advertisers better understand our audience and provide web content and advertisements that are more likely to be of interest to you. For example, we may report the total number of visitors to our site in general or to specific pages, the average length of visit, etc. No identifying data about individuals is reported.
- Data. During your visit to the Website, we may record choices you have made and use this to provide more customized content or advertising. This data does not identify you. If we do market research studies or polls in any area that will only be reported in aggregate, this will be indicated.
Personal Information Collected
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Personal Information that you provide by filling in any forms on the Website;
- Personal Information that you provide to us or one of our project partners or third party suppliers when you donate money to the school;
- We may also ask you for Personal Information if you report a problem with our Website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
For visitors to our website, we collect anonymous information regarding activities on our websites. This helps us to determine how best to provide useful information to customers and to understand which parts of our websites and services are of most interest to them.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information to:
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us (for example, the receipt of donations from you); and
- ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
We may also use your Personal Information to:
- notify you about changes to our Service;
- enable the school to which you have donated to provide you with updates regarding that school's progress and participation in the Project; and
- contact you regarding the Project and provide you with information about other programming carried out by us
If you do not want us to use your Personal Information in this way or you want to amend your preferences at a later date, please let us know by contacting at email@example.com.
Limited Disclosure of Personal Information
SCC minimizes the collection of your Personal Information. SSC does not sell or rent your contact information or other Personal Information to marketers.
However, SSC may disclose your personal information to third parties in certain limited circumstances, such as the following:
- to the school to which you have provided a donation;
- to any suppliers (for example to payment providers) in order to process any donations or investigate any payment issues or suspected irregularities.
- if we are acquired by a third party, your information may be one of the transferred assets.
If we are under a duty to disclose your information in order to comply with any legal obligation; in order to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions or to protect our rights. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Personal Information Protection
SSC takes precautions — including administrative, technical, and physical measures — to safeguard your Personal Information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Unfortunately, the transmission of Personal Information via the internet is not completely secure. We will do our best to protect your Personal Information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the Website. Accordingly, any such transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Personal Information Integrity
SSC has safeguards in place to keep your Personal Information accurate, complete, and up to date for the purposes for which it is used. Naturally, you always have the right to access and correct the Personal Information you have provided. You can help us ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by contacting us at the email address below. And you can request a copy of your Personal Information by contacting us at the email address below.
Cookies and Other Technologies
You can disable cookies on your browser, but certain features of the SSC website may not be available or may not function as intended once cookies are disabled.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the site, to track users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. SSC will not use the information collected to market directly to that person.
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada oversees our Personal Information handling practices. If any privacy concerns are not addressed to your satisfaction, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada for further guidance:
By Phone: 1-800-282-1376 or 613-995-8210
Last updated: February 2018